Thursday, February 25, 2010

COMIC STRIP

I've spent the past couple of evenings working on the shot list we'll be using for the film. Part of that process has included story-boarding specific shot compositions and sequences I'd like to shoot during particular scenes. 

Now, I've always enjoyed this process because it gives me the opportunity to exercise drawing muscles I haven't used very much over the last several years. But I'd be lying if I told you it hasn't been a bit arduous and time-consuming. 

Sketching out slightly more detailed story boards - as opposed to say, drawing stick figures - gives me a chance to really think about how I'd like a shot to look... what textural elements I'd like to employ... and the kinds of camera movements, if any, I'd like to try. It's fun, but can be creatively tiring at times. I've joked that when we're finished, I'll have an ONLY YOU comic strip to go with the film.

Of course, the true purpose of both shot list and the story board is to provide Daniel, our DP, as detailed and precise a blueprint as possible. That way, when it comes time to shoot, we won't be wasting time trying to figure out how we'd like the scene or shot to look. It's all part of the preparation.

Ken Cheng
LA, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment